video

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Grammar Focus: How Do I Use "a/an and the"? 【英文法】「a」「an」および「the」はどのように使用すればよいですか?

 Many students ask me "How do I use a, an, and the?". These are called "articles" in English grammar. Unfortunately, there are many rules about using articles and it can become complicated because there are many exceptions to the rules. However, there are some basic rules to follow that cover most cases.

"a" and "an"

"a" is used before a single thing or person, a singular noun. The image of "a" is general, any one of the same thing. 

Can I borrow a pencil? (I don't care which pencil, any pencil will do)

compare:               "Can I use the red pencil?" ( I only want the red one)

She is a student.

I have a car.

I'm taking a trip this weekend.


"an" is used the same as "a", but it comes before words that start with a vowel sound.

an apple

an elephant

an insect

an octopus

an umbrella

But Remember "an" comes before a vowel sound, not necessarily the letter.

an hour ("h" is silent)

a university (starts with a "y" sound)


"the"

"the" comes before a noun. The image of "the" is specific, there is only one choice.

Can I use the red pencil? (I only want the red one)

Can you pass me the dictionary.(There is only one dictionary on the table)

Please open the blue door.(There is only one blue door)


In a story, use a/an to show something for the first time, when it is unknow, but after the thing is know we use the. For example:

"One day a girl was walking down the street.(The first time. We don't know which girl.)

"The girl was wearing red shoes."( The second time. Now we know which specific girl.)


When not to use "the"

We do not use "the" before proper nouns. We do not say:

The Tokyo

The New York

The China

The France

The Jason

The Rachel

But there are exceptions: We do say:

The U.S.A.

The Netherlands

The Philippines

The U.K.

Why!? We use "The" here when referring to a country or whole made up of many parts.

The U.S.A. is one country made up of many different states.

The U.K. is one country made up of many different regions.

We use this for countries made up of groups of many different islands:

The Philippines

The Cook Islands

The Seychelles


"The" Pronunciation

Sometimes the pronunciation changes from "thu" to "thEE" before a vowel sound or for emphasis, but not always. You don't have to.

The(ThEE) Indian Ocean

the(thEE) airport

A: I saw Brad Pitt at the airport.

B:You mean The(thEE) Brad Pitt?

A: No, my cousin Brad Pitt from Chicago.


These are just a basic introduction to articles. I hope this helped. Good luck in your study and maybe see you in class.

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Say, "Let's Get Started."

This is a common thing I hear from Japanese students online. Before they begin to read their speech, they often say, Ok, Let's get start...